Tuesday, September 7, 2010

New Coop Door

I was having issues with the previous coop door that would be pulled up and down using a cable. Mainly, It would not reliably latch closed (I had fashioned a weighted latch for it) and the boys could not easily work the action open and shut as it was mounted too high.

I abandoned the traditional up and down coop door and opted for the Star Trek sliding-type door (without the dude working it behind the scenes). I had welded a lever/handle with a mount and hooked it up via a linkage to the coop door, which rides back and forth in a slot. There are locking pins that friction-fit into the lever panel to secure the door open and shut (although I am not too concerned that they can be moved unintentionally).





I am VERY satisfied with this solution and I must say that it looks pretty slick. The door secures tightly and boys can work the door easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment